Sunday, January 1, 2012

And here comes the New Year

So, today is the first day of the New Year. In 2012, I graduate high school, and the world is supposed to end. I'm not sure which one scares me more. Currently, probably high school, because I've yet to settle on a college. BUT.
Let's evaluate 2011 first.
It was a year of books, man, and good books at that. For me, the tie for the favorite comes down to these three:
Divergent was fast, and beautifully written, and had a really, really cute guy -- minus a love triangle. I push this book on my friends at all cost; after I got an advanced copy from my lovely librarian and returned it, I asked for it as an early birthday present from my mother so that I could have my own copy to pet and whisper sweet things to tote around. It's that good.
Okay, so Myra McEntire is, without question, one of my favorite authors -- and she's only written one book. Why do I love her, then? She is funny. She is sweet, and she is nice, even to the creepy teenage kid aspiring author with a blog who accosted her for an interview. When Hourglass came out, I was wary -- I didn't want to dislike it, but I wanted to like it on the terms of the writing and not the person who wrote it. 
It didn't disappoint. It mixes A Wrinkle In Time with the best of modern paranormal, and it does it in a way that embraces the culture of the south and the mentality of modern teenagers -- which, ultimately, turned a good book into a great one.
and finally:
Holy monkeys, guys. This book is so different than anything else. It's eerie and creepy, and I love it so much. The characters are so real that they could step out of the pages. (Then they would stare in horror at Missouri and our lack of ocean, and promptly turn back around.) Parts of the book are so well written than I'm overwhelmed with an odd and overemotional desire to cry at the prettiness of it all. I love this book for so many reasons, and if I continue to gush anymore, you will run away and never come back, so I'm cutting it short there.
Anyway.
It also occurs to me that this was the last year of Harry Potter.

I'm not quite sure how to respond to that, except for lots and lots of movie marathons, and possibly sleeping with the final book next to my pillow.
For now, this is it, however. Happy New Year!

No comments: