Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger


We are all aware that I like Kody Keplinger. She was awesome enough to do an interview with me here and I was lucky enough to get an ARC of the Duff because I have an awesome librarian. 
And without further ado, my review. And also, in case you are wondering, I am now also a poet.
Release Date: September 7th 2010
Amazon Description:
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face.
But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.
Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.
My Review:
Um, Wesley was hot.
Oh, wait. You want an actual review.
-ponders-
Okay, fine. The Duff was honest. Bianca is cynical and a tad crazy and totally hard core, but she's also flawed and going through a ton of bad stuff with her family. So she turns to Wesley.
I mentioned he's hot, right?
Yeah, well, he's also kind of an a$$hole. For one thing, I immediately had an issue with him calling Bianca a Duff. Why, I wonder, is the author doing this? There is no way I'm gonna like this guy. It's just not gonna happen. I was wrong. I did end up liking Wesley. As his character developed, and actually, as you got to see him through the eyes of his family, I started to like him more and more. 
Kody Keplinger does not shy away from language or sex. So, um, if you have a problem with either, this may not be the book for you. But it is honest. I mean, kids curse. -GASP I KNOW OMG- And Bianca's voice is great. If I'd brought this book to school, there would have been a problem. Math teacher say what? I'm sorry, teacher, I was too busy reading about hot guys ummm the dangers of bubble gum. Yeah. That.
(Not a joke. You should have heard the excuse for Hunger Games.) 
So, yeah, that's high praise. 
The only issue I actually had was with the politics -- literally -- in the book. Not because I disagreed with Bianca's political views -- actually, she has the same ones I possess -- but because I know several friends that would get kinda pissy should I recommend it. Not because of the cursing or the sex, but the politics. (Dude, I know. How weird is that? I live in the bible belt though; politics are way touchier around here.) 
However, it really isn't that big of a deal. Most people I know could rise above it. The Duff was funny and cute and kind of left me with an Awwwww feeling at the end. 
It was a fast read (it took me about an hour and a half total) but definitely worth the time. Seriously, as soon as it comes out, go grab it.
I promise you, it's worth it. Wesley really is pretty cute.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay! great interview! looking forward to reading this.

mo said...

Ooh, this one's on my shelf, just waiting to be read. It sounds great! I can't wait! (I, too, am a poet.)

By the way, did the ARC you read have the same cover as on the post? Or was it a close-up of a girl's face? Because mine's the close-up of a girl's face. -nods- I like the bubble gum one better.

Good review, my friend!

mo said...

Okay, so I finished this just now.

HOLY GIRAFFE I LOVE IT WITH THE PASSION OF A FLAMINGO (aka flame--get it?)(i love animals with long necks)(heh).

I'm very fond of this one. -nods- Wesley is my new boyfriend. Forget everyone else. -drools-