Saturday, August 28, 2010

Interview with Myra McEntire!!

I have an interview for you today. Now, I want you to look at that sentence and appreciate the maturity. You should totally revel in it. Because now? Yeah, the maturity is going to die. Because...

It's an interview with Myra McEntire!


Seriously. I have more love for her than the Russian cover of Catching Fire. And that, dear friends, is a lot of love. So much love that I'm starting to feel creepy.
Ahem.
Her book isn't out yet, but Ms. McEntire has one of the best blogs in the entire world. Just saying. You should check it out, now. She does some of the coolest interviews, with some of the coolest authors, and she manages to completely crack me up. But at the same time, Ms. McEntire manages to support some amazing causes. She helped organize Do The Write Thing For Nashville during the awful floods earlier this year, and she's helping her friend adopt a baby now. So yeah, basically, I want to be her when I'm all awesome and grown up.
-blinks- I'm being creepy again, aren't I?
Okay, so her book, Hourglass, is being published by Egmont in 2011. I can't WAIT. But I need to stop talking. Because...Now...THE INTERVIEW!
(I'm sorry. I really am freakishly excited. I'll try and calm some.)


Okay, first off,  it's the question authors must get so sick of answering, but I'm asking it anyway--Will you tell us about your book?
Emerson Cole has moved back to her tiny Tennessee hometown after being away at boarding school for a few years. She's about to face some things from her past she'd rather not, because she thinks those things make her crazy. But she soon learns that crazy is relative. Also, there are cute boys. And maybe ghosts.

What was your road to publication like?
I really and truly always wanted to be a writer. But I was discouraged by a lot of people who thought I should pursue a more suitable life path - one where eating was an option.


Did you ever feel like you weren't going to get published? How did you cope?
Luckily, my submission process with publishers went really fast. Even so, it was nerve wracking, and involved a lot of rocking back and forth and playing Diner Dash on my iPhone!


What's the scariest part of going through the editing process?
That it's not just you and the page anymore. You have to please others who are counting on you to produce a quality story.


So, you have one of the most awesome blogs I've ever read. Do you plan out the posts, or just kinda go with the flow?
I love you for this. I write my blog posts like I write my books - while flying by the seat of my pants.

You've mentioned mascots before on your blog--boy mascots, in particular (I'm talking about the Fort interviews).Will there be a boy for readers to swoon over in your up coming novel? 
THERE ARE TWO BOYS. Actually there are a FEW. One looks a lot like the love child of Kellan Lutz and Channing Tatum. Another looks like a younger version of Alcide from True BloodJoe Manganiello. With a lot less facial hair.


What are some of your favorite books/book characters?
I love books by J.K. Rowling, Cassie Clare, Maggie StiefvaterSuzanne CollinsHolly Black, Sarah Rees Brennan, Saundra Mitchell, Kami Garcia, Margie Stohl, Kimberly Pauley, L.Frank Baum, Janet Evanovich, Gail Carriger - there's really not much I don't like. And I don't talk about it if I don't.

When did you first start writing? 
The day Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out. :)

And finally, like the first question, it's the question authors must get so, so sick of. But, like the first, I'm still going to ask. What advice do you have for young writers?
NEVER STOP WRITING. Do what it takes to pay the bills, but instead of playing video games or watching reruns of The Nanny, write. Every day. Thirty minutes. And don't let anyone tell you you can't, or that you're too young, or that you'll never make it. I know twenty-year-olds with six figure book deals. They didn't get those by giving up, playing Sims and eating Cheetos. (I love Sims and Cheetos, but there's a time and a place for everything.)


----
Isn't she amazing?
Don't you want to be her? Or read her book? (ZOMG CHANNING TATUM AND KELLAN LUTZ'S LOVE CHILD. WANT NEED NOW.)
I'm going to go sit and grin stupidly now. Thank you, Myra!
Cheers, all!

3 comments:

mo said...

I love Myra McEntire so much it isn't even funny. :O

I love her answer to the editing question. I think it's cool that she points out that it's not even all about fixing plot holes, character inconsistency, etc., but also that you're trying to make your story more readable (is that a word?) and such.

Great questions and amazing answers :)

Aspen Arnthors said...

o.O

I want to be her. She has the same taste in books as me. Not quite boys, but she answered all those questions just like I would want to answer those questions.

I'm gonna go write now.

<3Myra

Myra McEntire said...

Did I say thank you for this? THANK YOU FOR THIS. And Maggie and Aspen, thank you two, too. WRITE ON, GIRLIES. WRITE. ON.